Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Joe T Garcia's, Pedernales Falls and the River Walk




We bought our RV a year ago in the DFW metroplex and although the engine has been serviced, it was time to get the RV itself checked out – inspections on all the moving parts, the appliances, gas lines, etc.  While the RV was being checked out we took the opportunity to visit David’s brother in Ft. Worth and several of our friends in the area.  And no trip to Ft. Worth would be complete without at least one meal at Joe T. Garcia’s, one of David’s all time favorite Mexican Restaurants.

The 'standard' dinner at Joe T's 

Joe T’s serves family style Mexican Dinners of cheese tostados, tacos, enchiladas, guacamole, beans and rice, chips and salsa and if you aren’t full after that I don’t even want to know you.  The margaritas are pretty awesome too.  We managed a couple of meals at Joe T’s during our stay. The first time we met my uncle Gary and his wife Deb plus David’s brother, Jim and then for round two Jim came again and my friend, Alice, a "BFF" since elementary school.  Alice was my matron of honor and Jim was David’s best man in our wedding some 35 plus years ago.  Come to think of it, my uncle Gary was at the wedding too.  I guess it should have been our anniversary!  At any rate it was wonderful to connect with everyone over great food and drink.

David's brother Jim and my dear friend Alice 

We enjoyed sunset dining by the pool at Joe T's
(I shouldn't say, but Alice has been thrown in this pool
before - I believe it involved margaritas and a certain birthday...)

With the RV a little heavier (pounds gained by David and I from Joe T’s) we headed south and spent a little time at Pedernales Falls State Park on our way to Fredericksburg for my family reunion. Pedernales Falls is a beautiful hill country park with a great bird blind.  We did a bit of hiking and enjoyed the river.  Things were getting green and blooming for spring but the water level was a little low.  The drought still has a hold on Texas but maybe there will be abundant spring rains this year.


Maya checking out the Pedernales River

Bear grass blooming

Top of Pedernales Falls

Maya climbing the rocks near the falls

We left the park for the family reunion and it was great to see all my cousins.  I must say, we are all getting a little grayer these days and not as wild and crazy.  And that might be a good thing.

Our plans were to head back to Odessa to spend Easter with family and say goodbye before starting our journey to the east coast. But we couldn't resist one last trip in to San Antonio before heading east.  Spring is such a beautiful time and my favorite time in San Antonio.  I'll miss Fiesta this year, so  have an extra good time and crack a few cascarones just for me...  

River Walk near Pearl Brewery


David and I enjoyed visiting the San Antonio Botanical Garden again.  The Garden was my work place but also such a big part of my life for the last 5 years.  I got to see many of my co-workers and several of the Garden's fabulous volunteers.  The SABG really does have some of the hardest working, most loyal volunteers you could ever know.  And I don't think that I am all that biased...   

Enjoying the roses with Charlotte and Luka

After our time at the Garden, we took Maya for a walk on the ‘Museum Reach’ part of the River Walk with friend and SABG volunteer, Charlotte and her dog Luka.  It was a beautiful way to say 'fare thee well' San Antonio and we will see you again in November.




No comments:

Post a Comment